It is the direct method of finding the accurate cause for the infertility. It is considered as the gold standard method for the evaluation of the tubal factors of infertility. It is usually done after the male factors and the ovulatory functions, which has been corrected or found normal.
Benefits of Diagnostic Laparoscopy are
- Tubal problems in cases of tubal patency, blockages, motility, fimbrial agglutination, hydrosalpinx changes and tubal adhesions.
- It helps to detect the ovarian causes such as PCOS changes, endometriosis, appearance of “violin string” such as adhesions in the pelvis and around suggesting chlamydia infections.
- Uterine anomalies such as developmental failure of mullerian ducts and other birth defects; arcuate, bicornuate, septate and didelphys uterus.
- It also helps in the aspiration of the fluids and pus for the microbiological study from fallopian tubes, ovary and pouch of douglas.
Indications of the Diagnostic Laparoscopy in Infertility are
- Women above the age of 35 years.
- In cases of abnormal hysterosalphingography.
- Failure to conceive even after 6 months of repeated trying with normal ovulation and normal hysterosalphingography (HSG).
- Women with any of the uterine pathology such as pelvic inflammatory diseases, endometriosis, chocolate cyst etc.
- Women with unexplained infertility.
It includes the correction of the causes of infertility with the help of minimal invasive technique called Laparoscopy. Some of the common laparoscopic surgery for infertility are